Special Registration Numbers

Aircraft Registration

Special N-Numbers, Changing N-Numbers

Special Registration Numbers

A special registration number is an N-Number that you select from the List of Available N-Numbers for immediate use on a specific aircraft or to reserve in your name for future use.

The fee for reservation or assignment of a Special Registration Number is $10.00.

Special registration numbers may be:

  • used to change the N-Number currently on your aircraft.
  • assigned to a new home-built, import, or newly manufactured aircraft in preparation for registering that aircraft.
  • reserved for one year. Upon reservation, we will mail a confirmation notice to the requester. A renewal notice will also be sent prior to the expiration date. An on-line reservation request program is available. Reservations may be renewed for additional periods of one year. The renewal fee is $10 each year. An on-line renewal program is available.

Aircraft N-Number Change

To change the registration number of your aircraft, send a letter requesting the assignment of a different number to your aircraft. This letter must describe the aircraft by the:

  • name of the manufacturer
  • model designation
  • serial number
  • current U.S. registration number

The aircraft owner must sign the letter in ink, include his typed or printed name with his signature and show his title if appropriate. It is also helpful if a telephone number and current mailing address for the owner are included.

If you are requesting a Special Registration Number that you already hold in reserve, be sure to include the $10.00 assignment fee.

If you are requesting a Special Registration Number at the same time you ask to change the N-Number assigned to your aircraft, be sure to include the $20.00 fee ($10.00 for the Special Registration number and $10.00 for the number change) and list several acceptable and available N-Numbers in your request. The Aircraft Registration Branch will research the numbers in the order they are listed and authorize the first N-Number verified as available for the number change.

If the number change involves a Special Number reserved to one party and the aircraft is registered to a different party, then the request for the N-Number change must be accompanied by a letter from the person or party that has reserved the special number releasing it to the requesting party. The letter should describe the aircraft as outlined above and give the name of the aircraft owner to whom the special number is being released. The releasing party should sign their name in ink, show their title if appropriate and include the typed or printed name of the signer with their signature. Be sure to include the $20.00 fee ($10.00 for reservation to the new party and $10.00 for the number change).

Upon approval of the N-Number change, we will mail an Assignment of Special Registration Number, AC Form 8050-64, to the aircraft owner in triplicate authorizing the placement of the new registration number on the aircraft.

Within five days after the new number is placed on the aircraft the owner must:

  • complete the AC Form 8050-64 showing the date the new registration number was placed on the aircraft, sign the form in ink showing their title if appropriate, and return the original AC Form 8050-64 to the Aircraft Registration Branch at the address shown on the form.
  • carry the second copy of the AC Form 8050-64 with the current Certificate of Aircraft Registration, AC Form 8050-3, as a temporary authority to operate the aircraft under the new N-Number until the replacement Certificate of Aircraft Registration showing the new N-Number is received.

If 90 days have passed since the owner returned the completed Assignment of Special Registration Number, AC Form 8050-64, and the replacement Certificate of Aircraft Registration has not arrived, please contact the Aircraft Registration Branch at 1-866-762-9434.

Within ten days after the new number is placed on the aircraft, the owner must present the duplicate AC Form 8050-64 and the present airworthiness certificate to a FAA Flight Standards District office to obtain a revised airworthiness certificate showing the new N-Number.

The owner of an aircraft may reserve the old number that just came off of his aircraft by requesting this in writing anytime during the N-Number change process. The reservation fee of $10.00 must accompany the request.

Mail Us Your Request For more information, review Information to aid in the Registration of U.S. Civil Aircraft, AC Form 8050-94 (PDF) or contact the Aircraft Registration Branch.

Last updated: Wednesday, June 22, 2022